Thursday, December 11, 2008

Portfolio: Final Exam Frame #2

Writing is a process. It involves a large variety of ideas and no one idea is necessarily right or wrong. I agree with Elbow in “Punk Power in the First-Year Writing Classroom,” where he says “If you are stuck writing or trying to figure something out, there is nothing better than finding one person, or more, to talk to. If they don’t agree or have troubles understanding, so much the better- so long as their minds are not closed” (49). I do find this to be true in creating a great piece of writing.

I definitely feel as though this has been true for me, as well as all the rest of my classmates, this quarter. Afterall, writing is a continual process and how are you to know what to change if you do not receive feedback from others. Clearly no won would intentionally write something in their paper that they know sounds bad or makes no sense. Another benefit that I have come to find is that with the thoughts of others, you are able to expand and grow, listening or reading many different points can only benefit you because it allows you to grow in knowledge and can be very persuasive in showing you an idea that you had never before realized. Also, just because something makes sense in your mind, does not exactly mean that someone else will read it or listen and understand it the same way. A writer, by my experience, should always be open to different views and opinions.

I, personally, have found it essential that I get feedback from a diverse set of people on all my writing. Without it, I would have a hard time seeing what my strengths and weaknesses are and becomes nearly impossible for me to improve. Optimism One continues on in “Punk Power in the First-Year Writing Classroom” to say “Group work not only privileges student-centered, democratic practices, but it highlights the interactive nature of creativity.” I have found this to be a true statement for me personally. I, myself, have always been a very outspoken person and it is nice that I can use this strength I have in order to help my fellow classmates. Working together can help us all develop friendships as well as greater ideas. The saying “great minds think alike” and “two minds are better than one” have always been significant in my experience. I have always found enjoyment and a greater deal of passion when bouncing off ideas with someone else that has some concern in the same subject. Creativity is a word that really stuck out to me within this piece because everyone thinks differently and portrays their ideas in different ways. For some music might be their form of expression, for some art may show their ideas best, for some poetry, for some a journal of lengthy proclaimed feelings, it all depends on the person. I am someone who just blabs on and on or writes lengthy pieces because I am a very logical person. Abstract is definitely not something that I can go hand in hand with, but for those who can, I say all power to them because I wish I could and it is a wonderful, powerful gift to have. Without the feedback of others, my writing could be considered specific word vomiting and I do not think I could flourish in my writing.

To every rule or idea there is always going to be exceptions. There have been a couple times where I have not been able to learn from others feedback. In these few circumstances either they gave me feedback that was not specific enough or I just got too many opposing comments. In cases such as these, I would have to just follow my gut feeling and hope for the best. Other times, because I am such a passionate person, discussions can go over board and become a heated debate, but I still find this to be a learning experience, regardless of whether it conflicted with relationships between that person and I. The way I see things is that you should always take everything into account and sort out what is right and wrong and from there you should learn and know that people are only giving you input in hopes for the better and in hopes that you would grow from their advice. Even though I find this view to be in likes with my own, there are few exceptions that I have come across, but never large enough for me to not continue to hold this view point.

All in all, I find group learning the easiest way to develop ideas. It allows you to create arguments in different points of view, allows you to grow as a writer, and strengthens relationships. Without it, I do not see myself growing, making it essential for educational purposes. I have always found this concept to be true for myself but through Writing 101 I have further recognized this as a personal truth.




*Blogger does not allow me the option of double spacing.*

No comments:

Post a Comment