Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Reflective Letter

Transitioning out of the writing style that I have done all my life has been a long and rocky road. At first I was unable to understand the process, why it is so well recommended, why it was so different, and the list just continues to go on. Sometimes I still find moments that I doubt this and want to go back to the way I used to write. To me, that sounds a lot better, but I quickly realize that although it is well thought out and explained in depth, that does not necessarily mean that it is the best way for it to be writen, nor a more justified way of explaining the subject matter.

At the beginning of this class, one of our first assignments was to write about what we had thought to be our writing philosophy. In this, I wrote about how I have been writing in a style that I am very comfortable with and I was hoping that through Writing 101, I could have the opportunity to explore many different styles of writing. Not only by studying the different types, but how they relate to writing in these different styles as well. I had previously thought that I would flourish more as a writer if this had been the case. So for a while, I was very unhappy with the class because I did not feel like I had been getting the most out of the class. But one day I realized, maybe that was not the purpose in Writing 101; maybe it was to explore analytical writing and make old habits the past and improve on the new habits. In a way, it taught me that I need to be more patient, wait for what is ahead and give it time. I should not always go into things with my own expectation before I have at least a general understanding of what it is going to be about, because all that did was leave me unsatisfied.

When I was first introduced to this idea of analytical writing I had many thoughts of it on both the negative and positive side. To me, it was a great way to use source material and get in on the conversation using my personal thoughts. I had previously thought that it was important to explain the subject at hand in a thorough, in depth explanation containing as much information as possible, while trying to maintain good flow. I had always felt like everything I wrote needed to be there in order for the flow to sound right. I also felt that by doing it in this style and manner, I would be able to connect with my reader on multiple levels, maintain consistency, flow, and have plenty of reasons towards my point, making it understandable and detailed. From the very start of essay one, Craig had pointed out to me that my style was a form of word vomiting on the page. At first I was unable to accept that, because all along anyone who read my work always seemed to like it. I felt like analytical writing could be a mixture of my previous style and quoting, that way it would allow me to maintain my voice all throughout my paper. After all, everyone’s way of writing is going to be different than everyone else’s, even if they are following the same guidelines, formats, and styles. I soon realized that I was over doing it. Craig had a point in saying that it was too much, which as someone who is not the biggest fan of reading, I can relate to not wanting to read a paper that is six or seven pages long. I would rather read a paper in three or four pages and get many of the same ideas, as I would from a longer document. When writing in my old style, many times the reader may have not gotten through all my points for the simple fact that there was just too much. For example, in the first essay I had originally included, “A musician, by the name of Gottlieb Mittelberger wrote about the terrible trip says, "During the journey the ship is full of pitiful signs of distress-smells, fumes, horrors, vomiting, various kinds of sea-sickness, fever, dysentery, headaches, heat, constipation, boils, scurvy, cancer, mouth-rot.... Add to that shortage of food, hunger, thirst, frost, heat, dampness, fear, misery, vexation, and lamentation as well as other troubles[....]” This seemed like information intended just to fill space, not information that was important in and of itself. Although I really liked the first way that I wrote my first essay, as time passed, I began to understand the idea of analytical writing, versus my own style and how it is much more beneficial.

When my second essay came around, I felt as though I had a greater understanding of the writing process and I was following all the advice that I had been given up until that point. I made sure that I was not rambling, that every point had quote(s) to back up my theory in order to ensure everything in my paper was there for a reason, and I followed my thesis throughout my paper, making it clear, concise, and arguable. But as it turned out, Craig had thought that I was too repetitive. For example where I wrote, “We came together in order to create a document called ‘Association of the Sons of Liberty in New York,’ in which we all agree that we are not going to have anything to do with the duties on tea nor those who do. Together we understand that taxation has been a big issue and that it is not ok.” Then the next paragraph I wrote, “The British are taxing us for things that do not belong to them. Why might anyone want to be a Tory? After all, the British are selfish. For ‘What property have they in that which another may, by right, take when he pleases to himself?” So I basically had the same point, just using a different quote. When I received my paper back, I was upset and confused. It was very hard for me to distinguish the difference between the advice that we, as a class, had been given and just saying the same point over and over in different ways. I really felt like there was improvement from the first essay and I was more confident. To me, a fifty percent was not what I thought that I deserved, but I also recognized that I still have a lot of work to do.

Although I have come to find all these struggles in my writing, I have also re-established my strengths. I have always been strong in directing groups and taking the initiative to start myself, as well as others, in the direction. For example, our PB-wiki pages for the second essay, in which I started the research and categorized everything for my state. Also, in the third essay, I was able to make important decisions like not worrying about the person in the group who was unwilling to participate. Another thing I did was I made sure that I got my ideas out in the group and that we made it clear that completing this essay would require a team effort. I arranged with my group member when and where to meet up. Leadership and organizing information have always been strengths of mine.

I can now look back on my learning experiences and know that I have only started on this path of discovering analytical writing and what it has to offer. I have begun to apply it and figure out what can and cannot work with this style of writing. I feel as though there are undoubtedly advantages to applying this style, both for this class and as I go on in my college education, and quite possibly my career. In the end, although these writings to do not fit with my writing philosophy or the way in which I had formerly written. I have noticed a positive change in myself and in my writing, but I know that there is a long road ahead and lots of room for improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment